Tutorial Center Mission and Goals
Mission and Goals for the Tutorial Center
The Tutorial Center functions as an individual unit of Georgia Highlands College with face-to-face centers available on the Cartersville, Douglasville, Floyd, Paulding, and Marietta campuses. The center also contracts with Brainfuse to provide online tutoring to select students.
The Tutorial Center seeks to enhance the education received by students in the classroom by guiding students to improve their academic skills, thereby helping them to succeed in their chosen college curriculum. The staff of the Tutorial Center is dedicated to helping students acquire the skills necessary to become independent learners.
The goals of the Tutorial Center are related to the following institutional goal(s) of GHC:
- Effect quality teaching and learning that are focused on academic achievement and personal and professional growth.
The Tutorial Center will
1. Provide the following tutorial services and resources each term:
- One-on-one tutoring sessions in either a face-to-face or online setting
- Information and practice for standardized tests for the college
- Opportunities for group study
- Assistance with software and technology used in GHC classes
- Workshops in special areas of study
- Web-based study materials
- Guidance in how to research
- Information regarding information literacy
2. Provide tutorial services at all GHC students
3. Ensure that students are aware of the services offered by the Tutorial Center
4. Provide a satisfactory level of service for students who use the Tutorial Center
5. Provide sufficient individual tutoring time for students
6. Provide opportunities for students to improve academically and become independent learners