Home (www2) > Compliance > Policy and Procedure Manual > Student Governance

Student Governance

Student Governance

The Student Engagement Council is composed of student and faculty/staff representatives who work together for the betterment of the student body and its interests. The student representatives of the SEC are the designated representatives (officers) from all the student clubs and organizations at all campuses; plus a limited number of unaffiliated student representative slots called student-at-large positions. Students interested in serving in an at-large position should contact the Office of Student Life for an application. Although the SEC includes representatives from the faculty and staff, a student representative serves as chairperson of the SEC and is selected by the other council members.

The primary purpose of the SEC is to serve as the voice of the student body and act as a liaison between students and college administration in order to help formulate just and proper regulations pertaining to student government and to assist those persons designated to enforce the regulations. The SEC operates under the Constitution of the Student Body of Georgia Highlands College. The SEC also assists the Office of Student Life with its activities and events in a manner that strives to result in the greatest possible advantage and satisfaction of all students, both as individuals and as part of the student body as a whole. The SEC also operates as the student activity fee budget committee that determines how the collected student activity fee monies are to be allocated for the upcoming year.

Students also have the opportunity to serve on several institutional committees to assist faculty and staff in the setting, review and discussion of college policies and procedures. Committees available for student representation and participation include the following:

  • Student Affairs Committee
  • Student Judicial Committee
  • Technology Committee
  • Affirmative Action Committee

Students interested in serving on an institutional committee should contact the Office of Student Life.

Page last updated: March 11, 2010