Home (www2) > Compliance > Policy and Procedure Manual > Veterans Assistance Information

Veterans Assistance Information

Veteran’s Assistance Information

Who we serve

  • Active duty personnel attending Georgia Highlands College and using the "GI Bill"

  • Veterans on active duty eligible to use the "GI Bill"

  • Members of the Active Reserve and/or National Guard

  • Disabled veterans retraining through VA Vocational Rehabilitation

  • Eligible dependent of 100% disabled or deceased veterans.

VA Educational Benefits

We encourage veterans attending Georgia Highlands College to contact us in person or by phone with any question they may have pertaining to their educational benefits. If we are unable to answer the question directly, we will refer the veteran to someone who can.

What is Veteran's Affairs phone number?

  • (706) 295-6339

Where can I find the Veteran's Affairs website?

What is VA's toll free number?

  • 1-888-442-4551

Where may I obtain an application?

  • Applications may be obtained from your school (VA Form 22-1990 Veteran / Active Duty or VA Form 22-5490 Survivor and Dependents), from any VA regional office, or by calling the toll free number 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

I am a transfer student - what must I do to re-start my GI Bill?

  • Student must complete VA Form 22-1995 for the Veteran and 22-5495 for a dependant.

What is the Work-Study program and who is eligible?

  • This program is available to any student receiving VA education benefits, and who attends school three-quarter time or more.

May I use VA education benefits for short-term high-cost programs, such as Novell and Microsoft certification?

  • Yes, if the program has been approved for VA purposes.

How do I find out if a particular program is approved?

  • Call the school offering the training, ask to speak with the person who handles veterans' certification's. You may also call 1-888-GI-BILL-l (1-888-442-4551) and ask a VA representative.

Can I change programs?

  • Yes, you must complete VA Form 22-1995 (vet) or 22-5495 (dependant).

How long am I eligible?

  • Benefits end 10 years from the date of your last discharge or release from active duty.

Can I receive Tutorial assistance?

  • You may receive a special allowance for individual tutoring if you train in school at one time or more. To qualify, you must have a deficiency in a subject. Complete VA Form 22-1990t, Application and Enrollment Certification for Individual Tutorial Assistance.

Am I eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation?

  • You may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation, if you have a service connected disability or any other disability rated by VA at 10% or more. For more information contact VOC REHAB, see http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/index.htm

What should I do if I do not receive a payment or a verification form?

  • If you don't receive your monthly verification form by the fifth of the next month, immediately call: 1-888GIBILL-l (1-888-442-4551). If you are hearing impaired, call 1-800-829-4833.

Can I get an Advance Payment?

  • You may receive an advance payment for going to school. Advance payment isn't available for tests, a license, or certification. There are restrictions, first you have be out of school for at least one semester, and second it must be requested a received by the VA 30 days before classes begin. You may see the VA representative for more information.

Can I use my G.I. Bill for licensing and certification tests?

  • Yes! You can receive reimbursement for licensing and certification tests you take on or after March 1,
    2001. These tests must be specifically approved for the G.I. Bill. VA can pay only for the cost of the tests and not other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification.

Can I get direct deposit?

  • Yes. You can call the toll-free number to get started with direct deposit or when you complete your initial application for benefits, you can attach a voided check. This does speed up your education payment.

What do I need to do once I am approved for benefits?

  • You need to contact the VA representative. The VA rep will ask you to complete a "Georgia Highlands College Veteran's Enrollment Form." This form authorizes the VA rep to certify that you are in school and attending classes.

What do I need to do if I drop or withdraw from classes?

  • You need to contact VA representative immediately. The rep will need to send in paperwork to the VA to notify them that you enrollment has changed. This may affect your payment from the VA.

Can I get physical education credit for my military service?

  • In line with the University System of Georgia’s guidelines for physical education credit for military service, the Department of Physical Education at Georgia Highlands College provides the following exemptions:

    PHED 1020, First Aid and CPR for service as a Medic
    PHED 1100, Personal Fitness, for basic military training

Page last updated: March 11, 2010