Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act
Georgia Highlands College is a participant in the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). Qualifying adults can receive additional financial assistance to pursue their educational goals or be retrained for a new job.
Eligible adults could possibly receive assistance with:
- Tuition, books, and schools supplies
- Child Care Expenses
- Travel Expenses
- Career Exploring and Development
What is WIOA?
WIOA is a federally funded employment and training program that prepares eligible adults and dislocated workers for re-entry into the workforce with advantageous skills and marketable assets. The purpose of WIOA is to increase the employment and retention earnings of participants and as a result, improve the quality of the workforce, reduce welfare dependence and enhance the productivity and competitiveness of the nation.
What services are available under WIOA?
The WIOA Career Advisor offers three levels of services:
- Core Services - includes in part, labor market information, initial assessment of skill levels, job search and placement assistance.
- Intensive Services- includes comprehensive and specialized assessments, development of individual employment plans and goals, career advising and more.
- Training Services- eligible individuals who have met the requirement could receive financial assistance to complete their educational and career goals based on their choice of training programs.
Who is eligible for WIOA
Students must meet certain eligibility requirements to receive financial assistance through WIOA. The minimum requirements are:
- Must be 18 years or older
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- Be unemployed due to company layoff, downsizing or closure
- Be underemployed
- Be economically disadvantaged
- Be a displaced homemaker
A person meeting one or more of the above criteria may be eligible for WIA assistance and can choose from one of the Georgia Highlands College career programs or cooperative programs with the Technical College System. Training is also available with other WIOA contractors.
Programs of study at Georgia Highlands College available for WIOA funding:
Associate of Science Career programs
- Dental Hygiene
- Human Services: Correction option
- Human Services: Gerontology option
- Nursing (RN)
- Associate Degree Cooperative Programs with Georgia Northwestern Technical College or Chattahoochee Technical College at North Metro Campus, based on demand occupations
If you would like further information on the WIOA Program at Georgia Highlands College, please contact Student Support Services for an appointment with our Career Coordinator.