Schedule an appointment:
Floyd Campus/Douglasville Campus: 706-368-7707
Cartersville Campus: 678-872-8012
Marietta Campus/Paulding Campus: 678-915-7508
We all face many challenges in life and at some time find it difficult to sort through our options or make decisions. Supportive counseling allows you an opportunity to talk over what is on your mind with an objective person who can help you learn new skills and ways of looking at situations. Once one learns to solve new problems on their own they are better adept at doing so in the future.
Typical reasons given by students seeking personal counseling:
- Manage stress and anxiety effectively
- Clarify values and priorities
- Improve relationships
- Cope with grief and/or loss
- Explore issues of sexuality
- Overcome feelings of depression
- Resolve problems related to alcohol/drug use
- Learn more effective coping strategies
Groups generally have 5-8 members, and they meet weekly for 1-1/2 hours. Confidentiality is an important issue in group and is one that is addressed in the first group session and reiterated throughout. Group members are asked to respect each others privacy and agree not to divulge details that would identify others outside of the group.
Students participating in group counseling sessions gain a range of insight and support from the professional counselor's and peers within the group. Groups can be general in nature (personal growth issues) or can be more targeted (substance abuse education, stress management, time management, academic performance, etc.). Students are referred to a group when it is deemed appropriate by one of the counseling staff members and when there are enough students interested to form a group.
Although not to be used as a substitute for face-to-face counseling, we have provided some online information to some issues of concern to students.
- Sexual Harassment
- Alcohol/Substance Abuse Resources for GHC Service Area
- Georgia Highlands College's Policy
- Peer Education Bacchus and Gamma
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence
- Education Center
- Beer, Booze, and Books
- FACE (Truth and Clarity on Alcohol)
- American Council for Drug Education
- Center for Substance Abuse Prevention
- Beeper Health Rehabilitation
- Start your Recovery
Abusive Relationship/Domestic Violence
Internet Addiction Information