Old Red Kimono accepts original poetry, fiction, photography, and artwork from GHC students. If you are a GHC student, please email your poetry or fiction submissions to Nancy Applegate, firstname.lastname@example.org. You can include as many stories or poems as you'd like, but please make sure you include your name on each page of your submission, and always title your work. Stories should be 1500 words or less, though occasionally we can accept something longer; poems and stories may be in any style and on any subject.
Submitting art can be a little trickier. We prefer to evaluate and photograph the actual artwork, but in some circumstances, we understand that you may only be able to submit photographs. If you submit photographs of your work, make sure they are clear, high-resolution images that are appropriately cropped.
GHC faculty, staff, alumni, and retirees, your submissions are encouraged as well! Please contact Nancy Applegate for information.
If you are not affiliated with GHC, we would still enjoy the opportunity to consider your poetry or fiction for inclusion in this year's magazine (we do not consider artwork from artists unafilliated with the college). The following guidelines apply to all outside submissions.
- Old Red Kimono accepts original artwork, poems, and short stories. Plagiarism, whether accidental or purposeful, is unacceptable. Please send 3-5 poems or short stories under 1,500 words according to the guidelines below. Only students, faculty, and staff may submit artwork at this time.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, as long as writers notify us immediately in the event of publication elsewhere.
- Emailed submissions should be sent as attachments in Microsoft Word format, or the poems or stories should be copied and pasted in the body of an email.
- Each submission should be accompanied by a cover letter with the writer's name(s), mailing address, and E-mail address; these items should be printed on each page or the submission as well.
- Work must be accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you expect a response. Only decisions will be mailed. We never make comments on your work. Manuscripts will be recycled.
- Submissions from GHC students, faculty, and staff are accepted throughout the academic year; submissions from outside contributors are reviewed from October through February. The deadline for submission to the Spring 2017 issue of Old Red Kimono is February 10, 2017, but submissions received after this date will be considered until space has been filled.
Please send your submission to:
Old Red Kimono
Georgia Highlands College
3175 Cedartown Hwy SE
Rome, GA 30161
Or email to:Dr. Nancy Applegate
Professor of English
- Old Red Kimono pays in copies. Contributors receive two copies. Additional copies may be purchased for $3 each.
- If you have questions, please E-mail us.