Learning Support Rules
Policies from the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia (USG) govern Learning Support programs at all USG schools with limited adjustment by Georgia Highlands College. The following policies are most important to Learning Support students.
- Students must enroll for Learning Support courses first. During each semester of enrollment any student (full or part-time) must first register for all required Learning Support courses before being allowed to register for other courses.
- Students entering the college with any Learning Support requirement must take The College Experience (FCST 1010) the first semester of enrollment. Students coming into the college with 12 or more transfer credit hours are exempt from this rule.
- Students placed into Learning Support Foundation Courses must complete the courses successfully within a limited number of attempts to avoid USG suspension.
- If a student fails ENGL 0989 two times, the student is suspended from institutions in the USG for one year.
- If a student fails two semesters of MATH 0097, MATH 0987, MATH 0989 or MLCS0099 or any combination of two of these courses, the student is suspended from institutions in the USG for one year.
- All time spent in Learning Support Foundation Courses is cumulative within the USG. All attempts at all USG institutions are included in the attempts rules.
- No appeals for additional attempts will be permitted except for those who have qualifying disabilities documented with GHC's Student Support Services office.
- After a one-year Learning Support suspension, GHC may readmit a suspended student or another USG institution may admit the student.
- Students should complete Learning Support Foundation Courses in a timely manner. Students who have accumulated 18 or more credit hours and have not successfully completed their Foundations Course(s) may only register for 2 classes each semester, including the required Foundations Course(s).
- Students should complete Learning Support Courses in a timely manner. Students who have accumulated 30 or more credit hours and have not successfully completed one Gateway Course may only register for up to 8 credit hours each semester, including any required Gateway and co-requisite courses. Students who have accumulated 30 or more credit hours and have not successfully completed either Gateway Course may only register for the required Gateway and co-requisite courses.
- Students required to register for co-requisite courses (ENGL 0999, MATH 0997 or MATH 0999) along with associated credit courses (ENGL 1101, MATH 1001 or MATH 1111) may only withdraw from both courses. Withdrawal from only one of the two courses, either the co-requisite course or the credit course, is not permitted.
- Students in co-requisite courses that do not pass their associated college level course must sign up for both the college level course and its co-requisite the next semester regardless of their grade in the co-requisite class.
- Students fulfill their Learning Support requirements with the successful completion of the Gateway course for a particular area, ENGL 1101 for English and MATH 1001 or MATH 1111 for mathematics.
- At successful completion of a Foundations course in a given area, students must enroll in the associated Gateway course the next semester. If the student does not pass the Gateway course, they must enroll in it each following semester.