Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. § 1681) provides that no person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
The following are examples of types of sex-based discrimination prohibited by Title IX:
- Sexual harassment, including sexual assault, occurring in connection with any academic, athletic, extracurricular, or other university program, regardless of the location;
- Discriminatory decision-making by a supervisor of an employee based on the employee's sex;
- Failure to provide equitable opportunity for participation in intercollegiate sports; or disproportionate awards of athletic scholarships.
Pursuant to Title IX and its regulations (34 C.F.R. Part 106), Georgia Highlands College’s Title IX Coordinator is the designated university official with primary responsibility for coordinating the university's compliance with Title IX and other federal and state laws and regulations relating to sex-based discrimination.
The Title IX Coordinator:
- promotes the creation of policies, procedures and notifications designed to ensure university compliance with Title IX;
- oversees implementation of compliance procedures, including investigation and disposition of complaints;
- answers questions and provides guidance about Title IX compliance and the university's related policies and procedures;
- acts as liaison to the state and federal agencies that enforce Title IX;
- helps ensure the campus community and university employees with Title IX compliance responsibilities are adequately trained and educated; and
- monitors all other aspects of the university's Title IX compliance.
GHC's Title IX Coordinator:
Virginia Siler,Vice President for Human Resources
Virginia Siler is responsible for ensuring Title IX compliance including monitoring and investigating the complaints of GHC faculty, staff, and students.
Deputy Title IX Coordinator:
5441 Hwy, 20 NE
Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Athletics Department:
3175 Cedartown Hwy SE
Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Cartersville Campus:
Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Floyd Campus:
3175 Cedartown Hwy SE
Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Marietta Campus:
1100 South Marietta Parkway
Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Paulding & Douglasville Campuses:
Please contact the above Title IX Coordinators with any questions or complaints about sex discrimination and potential violations of Title IX.