Online ENGL 1101
Web-Based ENGL 1101...
- is designed for those who need flexibility in their schedule and are self-motivated
- requires at least a minimum comfort level with email, MS Word and D2L
- teaches college-level writing skills
- includes an introduction to GHC library services
- focuses on argumentative thesis statements, correct grammar and usage, and other essential writing skills
- typically involves 6-12 hours of student work each week
- has set due dates, but schedule flexibility because students can work ahead when needed and only need to log-in twice weekly
- requires no on-campus meetings (mandatory conferences with instructor are completed via Collaborate)
Starting in Summer 2016, my courses will be trialing Open Educational Resources (OER's), so students should NOT purchase any textbooks for ENGL 1101.
- Timed and Non-Timed Essays (Timed essays will be completed using Respondus Monitor and Lockdown Browser)
- Self-Reflective Final Essay (4 pages, replaces comprehensive exam)
- Weekly Online Discussion
**The type of assignments in this list is subject to change. This list is intended as a general guide only.**
Am I ready for an online class? Will you be successful in this course?
If this is your first online course, I would highly recommend that you take the Readiness for Education At a Distance Indicator (READI) to assess your readiness, your goals, and your learning preferences.
You can find the READI at http://goml.readi.info/
On that page you will find several User Names and Passwords. Select and use the one that best fits your major area of study. When the READI opens, you will notice a navigation bar on the left side. The items listed in the bar are the areas that you will be measured on by the indicator. At the end, a report will be displayed which you can use to help you prepare to be successful as a distance-learning student.