Math 1111 Online
Contact Instructor: Libby Gore
MATH 1111 Online...
- is desigend for those who need flexibility in their schedule and are self-motivated
- requires at least a minimum comfort level with email, D2L, MyMathLab, and Blackboard Collaborate
- teaches the basics of Algebraic functions and their applications
- continues building upon the ideas presented in the MATH 0989 and MATH 0999 courses
- typically involves 5-15 hours of student work each week
- has set due dates, but schedule flexibility because students can work ahead when needed
- requires no on-campus meetings (mandatory group or individual conferences with instructor to be held in Collaborate meeting room
Is MATH 1111 the Correct Math Class for Me?
If you intend on pursuing one of the following programs of study, then MATH 1111 is the right math class for you.
STEM Programs of Study, including transfer programs in Health Sciences and Business
Agriculture, Dental Hygiene - Transfer Program, Biology, Business Administration* (STEM Pathway recommended not required), Chemistry, Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, General Studies (STEM, Health Sciences or Business concentration), Geology, Health Information Management, Mathematics, Medical Technology, Nursing - Transfer Program, Occupational Therapy, Physician's Assistant, Physics, Political Science (STEM Pathway recommended not required), Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Physical Therapy, Respiratory Therapy, Pre-Professional Programs(Dentistry, Engineering, Medicine, Veterinarian), Teacher Education- Middle Grades (Mathematics concentration), Teacher Education - Secondary Education (STEM concentration)
Required Textbook and MyMathLab Acces: Precalculus, 5th Edition, Blitzer, ISBN: 9780321900517
- Some students do not purchase the physical textbook, but rather only purchase MyMathLab access. There is an eBook version of the textbook within the program. MyMAthLab is web-based.
Online Math Program: MyMathLab accessed by Pearson Education accessed at http://www.mymathlab.com/
- **You MUST purchase access to MyMathLab!! All homework, quizzes, and exams will be completed here.**
- TI 83 or TI 84/Plus Calculator: Each student taking this course needs access to a TI-83 or TI-84 graphing calculator. Students are permitted to use their calcultor to complete homework exercises, quizzes, and exams.
- Internet Access: Each student should have reliable internet access at home. Each student should also have a "Plan B" internet plan, for when their home internet access is unavailable. Please note, all GHC campuses have computers and internet access available for all student. Access is limited to the days and times the campus is open.
- Desire2Learn and Blackboard Collaborate access.
Fall 2014 Syllabus and Course Calendar
- 20 MyMathLab Homework Assignments
- 4 MyMathLab Unit Tests
- 1 Midterm Exam
- 1 Final Exam
*The number and type of assignments in this list is subject to change. This list is intended as a general guide only.**
Am I ready for an online class? Will you be successful in this course?
If this is your first online course, I would highly recommend that you take the Readiness for Education At a Distance Indicator (READI) to assess your readiness, your goals, and your learning preferences.
You can find the READI at http://goml.readi.info/
On that page you will find several User Names and Passwords. Select and use the one that best fits your major area of study. When the READI opens, you will notice a navigation bar on the left side. The items listed in the bar are the areas that you will be measured on by the indicator. At the end, a report will be displayed which you can use to help you prepare to be successful as a distance-learning student.