Home (www2) > Advising > Advising FAQ
Printer Friendly Version

Advising FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions about Advising

Do I need an advisor?

Because students can often register themselves via the Web, they may think that they do not need an advisor.  However, they do.  Advisors help students to navigate through the requirements of the core curriculum and make the most beneficial course selections for their pathways and/or for transferring to four-year schools.  Advisors can also help to detect and resolve problems.  Academic requirements change yearly and advisors keep up with those to make certain that students are informed.  ALWAYS speak with an advisor before registering.

Who is my advisor?

GHC provides many opportunities for advising.  Most students do not have an assigned advisor, but you are welcome to visit a Professional Advisor at your instructional site; those people are shown here.  If you know your pathway, you may contact the advising specialist for the division of your pathway and find an advisor in your area of study.  Here is a list of the advising specialists. 

Many faculty members do in-class advising each term, providing information about core curriculum and pathway requirements and other pertinent topics as well as answering questions.  In addition, GHC provides an event every term at each instructional site called Early Bird Advising that is focused on long-term academic planning to insure that students can accomplish their program or transfer goals efficiently.

How do I register?

Students without holds can register in SCORE.  If you have a hold, speak with your campus advisor or email advising@highlands.edu. Click on 'register' above for details on registration.

What if I can't come to campus for advisement?  What are my options?

Students have a variety of ways to receive advising help at GHC:

Where can I get more information about colleges in the University System of Georgia?


How can I change my pathway?

Complete a change of program of study form available in advising, admissions and site offices. Click here to find form.

Can I register for credit-level courses even if I am still taking Learning Support courses?

Yes, provided you will have completed any courses that are prerequisites for the credit-level course that you wish to take.

What happens if I make below a 2.0 GPA?  Am I on probation?

It depends on the number of hours you have attempted.  For a thorough explanation of probabation, warning, and dismissal rules, please click here.

Do I have to take the Regents' Test?

Under the exemption granted to GHC by the Georgia Board of Regents in Spring 2010, if you are a current student, you may complete the Regents’ Test requirement at Georgia Highlands College by completing ENGL 1101 and ENGL 1102 with us, with grades of C or better in each class.  If you are a current student and you transferred in ENGL 1101 and 1102 with grades of C or better in each class, you have met the Regents’ Test requirement.

If you are a former student, not enrolled since Spring 2010, and wish to get the exemption, look here for information.

How many enrolled hours are considered a full-time load?

Twelve enrolled hours constitute full-time student status and Learning Support courses do count when assessing a student's course load, though they do not count in GPA and they are not transferrable hours.  Taking fewer than twelve hours in a term usually presents at least two dangers:

  • It may compromise a student's eligibility to be included on a parent's insurance policy

  • It may affect a student's level of financial aid

Both consequences are serious and students should consider them carefully and consult with parents and the Financial Aid office as appropriate. You can reach the Financial Aid office by e-mail at finaid@highlands.edu.

How do I know what courses I need to take for my program?

Program Maps that outline the required courses for each transfer and career program show you how you can complete your program in two years.  These are guidelines that do not include learning support courses or a summer schedule.  Students should use their program map in conjunction with the Two-Year Course Schedule to determine when they should take required courses and consult with an advisor to map out an individualized plan of study.

How do I know when my program courses will be offered?

GHC offers a Two-Year Course Schedule to aid student and faculty planning.  Just click on the link and you can view the intended course offerings for the next two academic years.  Course descriptions and prerequisites are listed in the GHC Catalog.  Students should view their program under Program Maps and coordinate required courses with those offered each term.  GHC Advisors are happy to help you plan your course of study.

College Related Terms

Page last updated: November 15, 2016