is wetlands ecology so important?
· Wetlands support biodiversity by providing habitat for
many endangered species.
· Wetlands provide breeding areas, food sources, protective
cover against predators, and over-wintering areas for migratory
· Wetland ecosystems provide slow-filtration, sedimentation,
and bioremediation for purifying surface water as well as providing
groundwater replacement (recharge)
· Wetland food web provides nutrient cycling and energy flow
as well as producing oxygen and reducing carbon dioxide in air.
· Wetlands moderate water flow, thus reducing flood damage
and providing erosion control.
can we use wetlands?
· Source of public and private water supply
· Fishing industry
· Scientific research
· Waste water treatment
HOW HAVE WE ABUSED WETLANDS?
· Wetlands are being destroyed by development at alarming
rates, even though slowed somewhat by recent government regulations.
· Even the "replacement" wetlands required during
new land development procedures do not approach the value of natural
wetlands to the biosphere.
· Rerouting of water and overuse of water, as well as indiscriminate
toxin disposal have contributed to the deterioration of the quantity
and quality of wetland ecosystems.